Wednesday 19 March 2014

Tourism in Nigeria

My trip to Abeokuta in 2006:

I suppose there is nothing new for me to say about the Olumo rock formations in Abeokuta, a town in South West, Nigeria. 
Abeokuta, literarily means 'under the rocks'.
A place of history for the Egba people - a Yoruba ethnic group.
Abeokuta is less than two hours drive from the cosmopolitan Lagos.

However, until my very recent visit to His Royal Majesty, The Alake of Egbaland after which I made a detour to see the place with my own eyes.
I had only imagined how it was from the few photographs I had seen in the past.

From the topmost spot on this rocky formation, I ventured to make photographs of the vast expanse of the town, Abeokuta. 
Being in a hurry to meet up with an appointment I reluctantly used the three -tiered elevator system - at a fee - that takes one to three different levels up the rocks. 
(In future, for a more relaxing visit, I would engage the designated steps to make my ascent more challenging) 
There is a popular fast food outfit at the base of the rocks if you would love to replenish your spent energy on your way back to the base.

Yes, I noticed a business opportunity: that is, if only the surrounding residents would make available souvenirs and indigenous products for tourists at affordable prices. 
This I believe would be another natural attraction to the place.

However, I appreciate the additional initiative of the elevators and the professional way the guides portrayed themselves, but there is room for improvement. Their enthusiasm re-echoes in my mind, a similar experience in Cross-Rivers State  - at the Obudu Ranch in South East, Nigeria.

Definitely, tourism development goes beyond workshops, academic papers and communiqué.
 It is now time to start translating all these into reality, as one has experienced. And same be should be replicated across this country.

I can talk about these experiences because they are real for me, as it should be for an average Nigerian. 
Tourism ought not to be an elitist affair as one has observed! 
It should be affordable by an ordinary man.

The players in this industry should view once again, the advantage of the teeming population of Nigeria and other visitors when strategies are being developed on tourism.

To get to these destinations entails the actual traveling in one's private vehicle; this ensures one savors the vista and the locals before arriving at the different destinations.

Alternatively, one may travel by commercial vehicles but this option prevents one from stopping wherever one desires to experience a sense of place and buy a few items.

Finally, it is hoped the government will ensure adequate security plus improved conditions of the roads to make traveling, a very welcome experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment